1892Ruffin & Payne, Inc. had its beginning in 1892 when Mr. Joseph M. Fourqurean helped set up his son Joseph P. Fourqurean along with Thomas C. Ruffin in a business selling coal, fire wood, some lumber and animal feed for the dairy farmers around Richmond. The business was named "Fourqurean and Ruffin" and located on a piece of land owned by Mr. Fourqurean in northside Richmond adjacent to the Highland Park neighborhood.
1900Early in the 1900s the lumber and building materials portion of the business increased to the extent that the company began to phase out coal and firewood sales. As sales increased the company expanded its operation next to Highland Park by purchasing another block of land in order to build additional storage sheds and a woodworking mill shop.
1912In 1912 Mr. Fourqurean sold his share to his partners - Thomas C. Ruffin and R. Tyler English and the company was renamed "Ruffin & English". In 1916 Mr. English sold his interest to Albert W. Payne and later in 1925 the company was incorporated under the current name as "Ruffin & Payne".
1923In 1920's the second generation of Ruffin's began working at the company - Craige Ruffin in 1923 and Thomas L. Ruffin in 1924 both of whom were sons of the founder of the business. Business continued to grow in supplying small home building. A drafting and design department was added to draw house plans in order to facilitate the sales of the current products and to bid on special millwork contracts for churches, schools, commercial and industrial buildings.
1928The original founder, Thomas C. Ruffin, died in 1928 and brothers Craige and Thomas L. Ruffin, along with Albert W. Payne and S. Percy Collier, operated the business until 1957. Mr. Collier passed away and Mr. Payne was killed in an auto crash in 1958.
1967In 1967 the company had to move its operation to make way for the construction of interstate 64 coming through the north east end of Richmond. The entire business was moved from Fifth Avenue in Highland Park to our present location in Henrico County at Laburnum and Vawter Avenues just east of the Richmond International Raceway. It now operates on 14 acres of land where it maintains a lumber yard, full service millwork operation, pre-hung door shop and roof truss operation.
1983Growth continued under the leadership of Thomas L. Ruffin, President, and Craige Ruffin VP. When Thomas L. Ruffin passed away in 1983, Craige Ruffin became President and Chairman of the Board and Joseph M. Ruffin, Jr., a nephew, became Exec. V-P, and George E. Haw III, a nephew took the office of Vice President and Secretary. Julian M. Ruffin, III, a cousin, became a V-P and Treasurer.
2016The current management at the company is represented by the Chairman of the Board- Joseph M. Ruffin Jr. graduate of Hampden-Sydney College, President- George E. Haw III graduate of Washington & Lee University and Julian M. Ruffin III graduate of Virginia Tech. The company is currently owned by the Ruffin family, senior management and the company's Employee Stock Ownership Plan.